Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2008 12:31:55 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: clutch disc
Comments: To: Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>

minor correction : re : "You'll have to remove the flywheel and inspect the clutch disk wear."

that's not accurate of course..........you just remove the pressure plate from the flywheel to inspect the clutch disc. And as noted.........they don't wear much at all usually.- the disc portion.. ( one way waterboxer clutches get old is ...........they just get very old. often. Unusually high clutch pedal effort.........is a sign of a very old pressure plate.)

What usually goes first is pilot bearing. And to get at the pilot bearing in a waterboxer engine you do have to remove the flywheel from the crankshaft. I find many waterboxer flywheels missing a tiny metal ring that holds the pilot bearing felt dust seal in place. And many of them with no dust seal at all - that causes clutch plate dust to destroy the pilot bearing in 2 to 3 years. So be aware of that. The little metal ring that holds the felt seal in place is a part that is not available anywhere as far as I can find out .

Usually a 'pilot bearing removal tool............a slide hammer with small expanding jaws on the front of it, is needed to get the pilot bearing out. If the rollers are intact in a pilot bearing..........you'd probably be ok re-using it, and make sure it's lubed, and a dust seal is in place.

If touching the rear main seal, be aware of the dreaded 'dropped thrust washer' syndrome. At Bostig.com there's a video of the famed Boston Bob going over that. He puts the felt dust seal in dry. I soak them in oil first. All seals need to be pre-lubed somehow, or they can burn out if used dry initially. Might not matter with that felt seal though, but I still feel better with some oil, or perhaps lubriplate white grease on it. If you put your van in gear, hold down the clutch, and give it 2,000 prm ( which you'd never do normally anyway ) .........the speed difference between the trans input shaft and that seal is about a thousand miles per hour. I say lube them.

Lacking a clutch alignment tool one can eyeball it........but that's tricky. I have about 4 left over plastic clutch alignment tools left over from clutch kits I'll sell for cheap. They're not as good as an actual input shaft from an old transmission, but they're much better than no clutch alignment tool.

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris S" <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:37 PM Subject: Re: clutch disc