Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2008 18:58:11 -0700
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: vanagon Digest - 31 Oct 2008 - Special issue (#2008-1156)

Rob,

Well, "east" covers a lot of ground, but if you like Civil War and general American history, I'd vote for Memphis, TN, and go to Mud Island River Park. They have a model of the Mississippi River, scaled one average human pace (2 1/2 ft) = one mile. It's done in concrete with actual Big Muddy water flowing down it, and all the towns, points of historic interest (including Civil War battles) and lots of cool stuff all pointed out for your leisurely stroll from the river's headwaters, clear down to the Gulf of Mexico. It's sort of like flying over the river, looking down on it, with everything labeled for your edification!

And when you're done there, you can go to Charlie Vergo's Rendevous in downtown Memphis for BBQ ribs!

That's what I'd do, anyway - - I can hear those ribs a' callin'!

Gary > > Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:25:27 -0700 > From: Rob <becida@COMCAST.NET> > Subject: Travel -Civil war battlefields > > If I was in my Westy heading out east to look at some civil war > battle fields what would you recommend? > Right now I have Gettysburg and Antietam on my list. > > I'm not sure what I'm looking for... Someplace to go that I haven't > been, something to see that I read about way back in school. I like > the historic places where I don't have to do extensive study before > hand, where the signs awaken memories of lessons long ago. Cemetery > Ridge would be one, Sutter's Mill was another (been there in the '71 > camper many years ago). The Pali on Oahu (Hawaii) where Kamehameha > forced the Oahu warriors off the cliff is a good example. > Just tourist - historic- camping stuff noted for a later trip. > > > > Rob > becida@comcast.net > An '84 Westy with a '93 Subaru 2.2 in Western Washington state