Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:23:15 +0000
From:         Richard Golen <rgolen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mention of the Possible New MicroBus
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@busdepot.com>

To expand on what Ron wrote. I visited the Westfalia plant in June of '05 and got a tour of the plant and museum by their director of marketing. At that time they were phasing out the production of VW conversions. There were only a handful on the production line and a couple in the back lot.

As a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler Benz, they now concentrate on two products. The first are the camper versions of MBz vans and trucks. The second is they are using some of the workshops to do the final assembly on the Maybach luxury car (to compete w/Rolls and Bentley).

From what I've seen VW is assembling the van conversions themselves, and the larger campers, those built on the van frames, are being built by Karmann.

Ric

_________________________________________________________________ You live life beyond your PC. So now Windows goes beyond your PC. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/115298556/direct/01/