Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:18:23 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Fuel Line Firewall Fitting Hissy-Fit!!!!

Yaarrrrghhhh!

OK, now that my frustrations are relieved, I can tell the story!

In a previous thread 'Fuel Lines Reminder" I had mentioned having a fuel leak at the fitting on the forward side of the firewall. Devilish place to get at. Asked for ideas on "How To!"

Well, Volks --- you are all the Greatest!!! I got ton's of responses on "How To". And I got'ter done!

I popped the hatch, and just stood there, looking at this monster, thinking I'm not so sure the Volks got it right this time. But I broke out the tools and got started. So here is how it went - should anyone want to copy this into their little black "How To on a Vanagon" book.

********** Remove engine hatch (you never know who might not think of that)

Pull the two hoses loose from the Rubber boot.

Remove the rubber boot between the air filter and the Air Flow Meter (AFM) - this gives you room to work. Follow the fuel line from the firewall fitting to the fuel ""T" over the engine and disconnect the fuel line at th3e "T" The "WhY" will become evident.

Remove the sheet metal screws with bolt heads from the firewall fitting. Now grab the fuel line you have disconnected at the :"T" in one hand, and the firewall fitting in the other - and wiggle, jiggle, and tug, until you can work the rubber stubby hose on the back side of the firewall fitting completely through the hole in the firewall..

Loosen the hose clamp holding the rubber hose onto the end of the plastic fuel line that comes from the fuel pump.

Twist, turn, tug, pull the rubber hose from the plastic fuel line.

Now withdraw the fitting, with the short hose attached. On mine, the short rubber hose was rotted - majorly!!! This stupid little piece of hose ought to be a mandatory safety item requiring a recall to have fixed.

At this point decide whether to use new FI hose from where the fitting was to the fuel "T" or to re-use the old stuff. I opted for the new hose.

Reach under the firewall and pull that plastic hose towards the rear of the van as possible.

Force the new hose over the end up about 1-1/2 inches. Be sure that hose now goes under the firewall and not through it.

Put the hose clamp on the other end and slide down.

If you are good - you can use a stubby screwdriver and work in the blind and tighten the clamp. If not so good - like me - you can use a long skinny screwdriver and work through the hole in the firewall. to tighten the clamp.

When tight, split a piece of hose and force over the new hose where it passes under the firewall.

Secure the fuel hose with sleeve under the firewall with a tie-wrap.

Reconnect the hose to the fuel "T" for the injectors,

Pressurize the fuel system to check for leaks.

Install boot and other hoses.

Start engine, check for leaks.

Drive vehicle and check for leaks.

Close up engine compartment.

Total time spent - less than one hour. Saved me at least $90 as quoted by repair shop.

Finally, I can inspect the hose anytime I wish.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver