Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:02:40 -0400
From:         Chris S <szpejankowski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP! Blackbeard Update-Not Good.
Comments: To: Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>

It might be worth getting a "stated value" insurance policy. A friend of mine insures his '74 Karmann Ghia cabriolet that way.

2008/10/31 Jim Felder <jim.felder@gmail.com>: > I am sorry to hear about your accident, and I dont know how to advise > you (I'm sure others will chime in) but I wanted to mention that when > I was on the phone the other day with my insurance agent, I asked > about getting my diesel westy properly insured since it's worth so > much more today than just a few years ago. She told me that the > insurers go my blue book value, period. Even if I could get say > gowesty prices for it, it did not matter to them. > > Jim > > > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Mike Miller <mwmiller@cwnet.com> wrote: >> You start by looking yourself for comparables. Make sure the van's for sale >> are what yours was as far as equipment and extras. Don't bother with regular >> wear items like brakes unless you've upgraded them. >> >> I got mine up from $1600 to $4500. Just took time. They use a comp service >> that doesn't do vans much so don't know how to rate them and don't care >> either. >> >> Mike >> >> >> On 10/31/08 10:23 AM, "Matt Drew" <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM> wrote: >> >>> Adjuster just came. >>> >>> This sucks. Based in part on the prices of similar vehicles for sale in the >>> area (and this is Vegas, so good luck with that) the value of Blackbeard is >>> $2,649. >>> Cost to repair (minus the radiator, because he couldn't actually get to the >>> radiator to look at it) is $4,500. >>> >>> Total labor per his report is over 22 hours. >>> >>> Even with the additional value given the new (<75,000 mi.) engine, the >>> massive number of hours PLUS parts is just too much. >>> >>> Alright. >>> Never been through this before. >>> Aside from the new damage, Blackbeard is in FANTASTIC condition. >>> Interior is very clean. Cruise works great. Power mirrors, windows, door >>> locks, AC (needs to be replaced though), and the OEM carpet covers are even >>> in good shape. >>> No rips/tears. . . >>> >>> Do I take the total and have 'em haul it off? >>> Do I have it towed to a recommended shop for an estimate? >>> Anyone else dealt with this before? >>> >>> HELP ! ! ! ! >>> >>> -Drew >>> '90 GL "Blackbeard" (Life Support) >> >

-- Chris S. Disclaimer: "Death and serious injury may occur"