Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:03:42 -0700
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Rectangular headlights... low & high-beam units same shape?
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@gmail.com>

> Andrew, those are aftermarket kits by Projektzwo (and clones by other > makers).

OK. Quality will be very variable.

> The inner beams are for highbeams only and are identical to ones found on > rectangular headlight models in Europe.

That's an odd layout... high beams are usually on the outside in dual-light cars. Are they narrower than the outers, or is this an illusion? If they are narrower, then they certainly will be not available aftermarket. Hmmm... I wonder of the Santana (Quantum, Audi 90) units are the same... Santanas were brought into NZ used from Japan, having being made there by Nissan. Perhaps that might be the answer.

> The outers are unique to the T3 and came in two different flavors. The North > American spec T3's got ones with poor > reflector design. The European spec H4's (also called e-codes) are virtually > identical in shape except for the reflectors. > They also only accept the NA spec headlight bulbs vs. the e-codes which > accept any H4 bulb. If you will pardon the > pun, the difference between the NA spec (DOT) headlights vs. the e-codes are > like night and day.

DOT mandates "black" light... all in the name of safety, y'know.

> With DOT lights, > you can actually see a shadow of your vehicle in y9our headlight pattern on > the ground when another vehicle with > regular lights get behind you.

Well, that can happen with halogens too... they are not all equal, even with bulbs of the same wattage. Been there, done that. I have tried 100W H4s, but these get too hot and their bases burn and fall apart!

> The H4's are just fine not to mention offers > a larger array of available bulbs wattages.

55/65 seems to be the standard. And avoid those blue-tinted ones sold as "HID"... not only are they blinding to oncoming traffic, but the human eye is relatively insensitive to blue light and therefore cannot see as well when using these as with the yellowish light given out by untinted QHs.

> Be sure to check legality of use in your locality. They are technically > illegal in the US though enforcement is nearly > nonexistent. They look like the DOT lights afterall.

Yep. Halogens are the norm in NZ. I believe that the US is the only place where they are not.

>> I'm thinking now that rectangular lights look better than South >> African round ones... but sourcing a set of "semisealed" RHD halogen >> low-beams could be a problem if they are unique to these vehicles. > > > These headlights come-up on Ebay UK all the time. They are usually much > cheaper than the LHD counterpart > because there is less demand. I've seen them sell for as £10 each from > Ebay.

If the Santana units prove to be different, I'll have a look there, thanks!

> Some enterprising inviduals have taken the headlight adjusters from a SAAB > and bolted them to a modified Vanagon (T3) > bucket then used a generic rectangular Hi/Lo headlight in it's place. I > can't remember what they did to the inner highbeams > though. Others had mentioned some Ford headlights adjusters can be used as > well.

I have some Golf II GTi electric adjusters, which I will attempt to fit to the van.

> Yes, the e-code Halogen replacements will fit the US bucket. There is no > difference in the buckets for rectangular headlight system > in any markets. In fact the only difference are the lenses on the outer > lowbeams.

That's good. I thought I remembered mention on the list some time ago that the halogens wouldn't fit the US buckets. Perhaps they were talking about fitting H4 bulbs to US reflectors... and of course if you butcher an H4 bulb to fit a US reflector, the lens pattern will not work and there will be no beam, just a random scatter of light. Tried 6V H4s in my 59 van's stock headlights... bright, but no beam pattern, and that was with both ribbed lenses and lenses with a low-beam cutoff.

?They will not fit just any generic rectagualr headlight > w/o modication though.

Now, that is not good design. I'm sure that during the van's design stages Hella tried to talk VW into using generic rectangular mounts.

-- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut Temporarily in Calgary, AB, Canada <goose1047@gmail.com>