Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:36:51 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump replacment frequency?
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>

Mike -

Mine must be an exception then. My 84 Westy came "bone-stock" with the plastic square filter BEFORE the pump and the metal cannister AFTER the pump. Confirmed this with the original owner. And I have continued to run it this way since. The plastic filter is changed every 2 oil changes (they're cheep). If the plastic filter is left on for too many miles, the pump starts to whine. Changing the plastic filter has eliminated the whine every time. Although ETKA is less clear about it, the original parts fiche shows this arrangement on *most* Vanagons through 1985. The 86-91 fiches show just an adaptor fitting in the filter's place.

Later Vanagons didn't come with the plastic pre-filter because later production and current fuel pumps are supposed to have a mesh screen to keep contaminates at bay. However, if this gets clogged and the pump starts to whine, the only way to clean it is to remove the pump and rinse the inlet out. -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@airheadparts.com *********************************** On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 6:50 AM, Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net> wrote: