Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Nov 2008 01:07:11 -0700
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon ?Previa?
Comments: To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@turbovans.com>

> " Repairs (yes, it has to be repaired sometimes!): be aware of front > accessories driveshaft problem. Due to mid-engine placement, accessories > like alternator, steering pump, A/C pump, S/C, etc that are placed in front > are driven by accessories driveshaft that utilizes rubber bushings. These > tend to self-destruct about every 100K, and, according to Toyota, cannot be > replaced separately. Whole shaft replacement cost me about $1300, and that's > kind of job only shop can do. > taking off the accessories driveshaft, putting it back and > adjusting again - about $400 labor!

The shaft can be replaced by anyone competent at mechanical work, and needs no "adjusting". My nephew, his father and I changed the engine in my wife's turbodiesel (nonEFI 2C-T engine) after over a year of driving with a cracked head. No need of adjusting. We changed the bush at the same time. I'd imagine that the bush could be replaced with a CV or universal joint with a bit (!) of work.

> I asked for a Nissan Quest Van, from 92 to 1997 year model, > for $ 1,000 to $ 4,000 within 60 miles of my freind's zip code. Found a 95 > Quest in minutes, for $ 2,500, and the next day she got it for $ 2,250. > I drove it from Albuquiqui back to Southern Oregon .........it just glides > along at 80 effortlessly. > Nissans are incredibly durable. V-6 engine of course.

When searching for a V6 to think about fitting to a 97 4WD Carib wagon, I asked various wreckers for recommebdations. A NISSAN wrecker told me that the Nissan 3.0 (and by extension the bored-out 3.5) V6s are trouble. Mitsubishi V6s wear bores. Toyota's 2.5 and 3.0-liter VZ-series (2VZ, 3VZ) engines need to have their antifreeze maintained... if they don't the heads corrode and leak coolant directly onto the crank bearings, eventually with disastrous results, and you never know what previos owners have or haven't done). US V6s are iron boatanchors. Mercedes and VW, I wouldn't trust.

-- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut Temporarily in Calgary, AB, Canada <goose1047@gmail.com>