Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Nov 2008 13:26:47 -0700
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel pump replacment frequency?
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>

I guess you could call them high and low pressure fuel filters.... but don't ask in a parts store for a 'low pressure fuel filter'.............they won't know what you're talking about.

more accurate would be 'suction side' fuel filter, and pressure side fuel filter. Some vans have only one or the other......... some vans have both. On some vans you must have the smaller square filter between the tank and the fuel pump because it's an fuel hose size adapter also. I like having both there. all vanagon fun.

One the fuel hose deal............I'd suggest replacing just one hose and waiting a while to see how that goes - see if the new stuff is any good or not. Personally, I inspect the ends of the hoses on all my vanagons, I often replace those crimp hose clamps because sometimes they don't squeeze well enough anymore........... I believe in frequent inspection and maintanence...........so I'd rather keep the hoses on that have worked really well all these years, and keep an eye on them. 'THE' spot I've seen leak is right above the starter............on the forward side of the plastic firewall fitting...........they like to seep there. I just bypass and remove that plastic firewall fitting. No reason for it to be there at all. I like that stock black plastic fuel line that runs from the output of the fuel pump to that firewall fitting.............I've never seen that plastic line fail in anyway. As long as it's not crimped, pinched, rubbed on, or near something hot.........that stuff seems to be good for 50 years, and I like keeping it on the van, rather than run long lines of new rubber-like fuel hose in place of it. In the overall picture of everything ........................There is a time to 'leave well enough alone' too. I've seen many times when 'all new' produced a negative result. Sort of like 'I want root canals done on all my teeth at once so I don't have to worry about needing any root canals in the future'..........that wouldn't be smart, right ? The trick is to fix or replace *exactly* the right stuff - no more, no less. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Collum" <collum@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 7:50 AM Subject: Re: Fuel pump replacment frequency?