Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:00:01 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Blinking stops, relay out ...
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

At 03:10 PM 11/6/2008, John Rodgers wrote: >Apparently there is a resistance test circuit built into the thing and >it takes a few moments for it to do it's job of testing the resistance >between the probes in the coolant tank.

Actually there's a blink test built into the gauge -- it's supposed to blink for three seconds on power-up and any time it's triggered.

The Bosch people took advantage of that with the new-type controllers -- instead of giving a steady overheat signal, which is what triggers the blink, they just give a tiny blip to start the gauge blinking, then another tiny blip a little later on and so forth. That way the temperature indicated on the gauge stays about the same instead of going into the red, which is a glaring misfeature of the older design.

>I suspect that if you do not have the ratio of water to coolant within >the proper range, that silly light may blink - maybe. IE, to much >coolant for the water so the resistance is wrong - blinking light; to >much water, not enough coolant, so resistance is wrong - blinking light. >This is just my suspicion.

I have read -- somewhere -- a VW troubleshooting tree for that circuit with a spec for coolant resistance. Must be in a TSB, because it's not in Bentley. But by my own tests the circuit is very sensitive. A resistance of less than 180K ohms between the live probe and any fixed voltage -- ground or 12v or anywhere in between -- will stop the light blinking by extinguishing the square wave impressed on the live pin. That's for the old-style controller; the new-style should be similar.

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"