Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Nov 2008 18:14:34 -0800
From:         Old Volks Home <oldvolkshome@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Muffler options aside from stock <-- that was supposed to
              read muffler :)
Comments: To: Tony Collins <tonycollin@gmail.com>

The only thing out there that EXACTLY fits will be the quiet pack muffler produced by S&S Headers in Arizona, their Number V285. This muffler is also used on their header system they produce for the 1.9 Vanagon. But their price is around $160.00. While it's made very nicely and fits pretty darn good, the issue is the materials quality and length of service to be obtained from this muffler. Reports from other vary, but the gist is that this muffler lasts on average of only a couple of years in moist, rust-bearing climates, a bit longer here on the drier west coast and southwest. Has a nice quiet but subtle "throatier" exhaust note.

Most of the "QP" Mufflers out there being offered are made in the Far East out of VERY POOR quality materials and just don't last very long, especially on daily drivers. Thats why they go from $40 to $60. USA made materials and construction can be somewhat higher because of US costs verses Far East costs - why do you think Bug Pack, EMPI and others chose to move production these to the Far East? Another reason why that Bus "QP" is more expensive than the Bug "QP" is that for every 1 Bus "QP: made, there are at least 20 to 40 Bug "QPs" being made to fill the container before it's loaded on the boat. Quantity=lower costs. The less quantity that an item is made, the higher the costs

Other than building it yourself from scratch, anything cheaper than that or a stock muffler and tailpipe is just asking for trouble in the wear and tear department down the road. I've replaced way too many "QP" mufflers in the past 30 years on VWs I've owned due to poor materials quality, poor construction quality and poor fit quality on Beetles & Buses. I've always gone back to stock because it fits the first time and lasts the longest.

Case in point: I ran an ANSA mfrd stock muffler on my 84 Westy for 10 years (I'm based in California, but I travel all over the US in my "home"). I replaced it last year with another ANSA unit because the baffles inside were rattling around and the exhaust note was starting to become a bit too loud for my taste. So I pulled and tossed it in favor for a another new one (sure was nice to have it quiet again). The ANSA unit use to come from Italy, but now they're being made in Israel, but I haven't detected any quality issues - they look, weigh and sound the same - excellent quality at what's considered an affordable price ($120 to $160 depending on the vendor) compared to the German Ernst ($165 to $200 depending on the vendor).

It's been said before - "You get what you pay for". Sometimes going with "inexpensive" costs you more in time, money and aggravation in the long run.

But if yer getting ready to sell the vehicle, my point is moot. And economic times being what they are, if yer strapped for $$, then buy a Bug "QP", take it down to a muffler/exhaust shop and have them modify it for it to fit to yer specs.

I just recently pulled apart another 84 Vanagon for spare parts and happen to have a *good* Ansa Muffler with a tailpipe (surface rust on the tailpipe), probably a few years old from the looks of it. It's yours for $45 + Fedex Ground from So Cal - dunno what it weighs or what shipping would cost though.

My nickel's worth -- Jim Thompson 84 GL 1.9 "Gloria" 84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt" 72 411 Station Wagon "Pug" oldvolkshome@gmail.com http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@airheadparts.com *********************************** On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Tony Collins <tonycollin@gmail.com> wrote: