Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Nov 2008 09:22:19 -0500
From:         Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: New fuel line disintegrates

The problem with the "goo" coming out of the heat sleeves on Vanagon fuel injection lines might be related to the permeability of the fuel hose itself. If a substandard hose is used, fuel might be passing through the walls of the hose and then remaining held in contact to the sides of the hose by the heat sleeves, thus causing deteriorating of the outer cover of the hose. If this fuel contains a significant amount of alcohol the fuel will be even more destructive toward hose material not designed to tolerate the new blends of gasoline.

SAE30R9 spec hose (i.e. fuel injection hose) has a permeability of 15g/m2/day and SAE30R7 hose (i.e. non fuel injection fuel hose) allows 550g/m2/day to evaporate through the walls of the hose. This is 36 times the limit for the correctly rated SAE30R9 fuel injection hose which has an additional barrier to prevent seepage.

Gates describes their SAE30R9 hose as in the following way (http://www.gates.com/common/downloads/files/Gates/brochure/TechTipsForm.pdf ):

"Gates SAE30R9 hose uses a laminated tube of Fluoroelastomer, as a thin wall inner layer backed by traditional compounds. This first layer protects the rest of the hose from attack, swelling or permeation from aromatics, oxidized gasoline (as can occur in fuel injection systems), ethanol or oxygenate additives and a wide range of petroleum based products."

Neither SAE30R7 or SAE30R9 hose is designed for total emersion in fuel, as is SAE30r10 hose that is designed for in-tank fuel pumps, but since SAE30r9 hose seeps much less fuel it is likely much more suited than SAE30R7 hose for installation with an impervious cover like the heat sleeves.

Much of our gasoline today contains additional amounts of alcohol that will attack and cause swelling of many rubber products as we have been warned by some automotive manufactures. It is more important than ever to use hoses with the proper specifications for use with today's fuels. Many of the rubber products in our 20+ year old Vanagons were designed when alcohol was not a significant component in our fuel and therefore were not designed to stand up this new attack. As a result, products that we have "used for years and never had any problem with" are now inappropriate for the same use and may unexpectedly fail.

One indication of this change in fuels is that Weber Carburetors has had to change the range of jets in their JetPak tune-up kit twice in the last few years because the increase in alcohol in gasoline results in excessive leaning out of mixtures.

Times and fuels have changed and we must make changes in our selection of fuel system components to keep our buses from burning. Make knowledgeable and smart decisions when replacing your fuel lines.

Ed McLean