Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Nov 2008 12:00:41 -0500
From:         Jeffrey Lubin <visionwizard@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: New fuel line disintegrates
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

I agree with the notion of replumbing with metal fuel lines. But, I also had the ooze when I redid my fuel lines a few months ago, and it was a self-limiting phenomenon. That is, there was an initial ooze, and then no more after that, which suggests it is the effect of perhaps some kind of coating on the fuel lines, but probably not something seeping through from the fuel. I'm not saying I know for sure, mind you, and I would definitely like someone to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Allan Streib wrote: > Ed McLean <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET> writes: > > >> The problem with the "goo" coming out of the heat sleeves on Vanagon >> fuel injection lines might be related to the permeability of the fuel >> hose itself. If a substandard hose is used, fuel might be passing >> through the walls of the hose and then remaining held in contact to >> the sides of the hose by the heat sleeves, thus causing deteriorating >> of the outer cover of the hose. >> > > This is exactly what I was thinking. Fuel or fuel vapor is migrating to > the surface of the hose. In the hose sections that are exposed to air, > this evaporates away and is not noticeable. Under the sleeves, it can't > evaporate and eventually oozes out the ends. > > >> Much of our gasoline today contains additional amounts of alcohol that >> will attack and cause swelling of many rubber products as we have been >> warned by some automotive manufactures. It is more important than >> ever to use hoses with the proper specifications for use with today's >> fuels. Many of the rubber products in our 20+ year old Vanagons were >> designed when alcohol was not a significant component in our fuel and >> therefore were not designed to stand up this new attack. >> > > Much of the fuel around here contains up to 10% ethanol, according to > the labeling on the pumps. This fuel hose was sold as high pressure > fuel injection line, and according to the date stamped on the side it > was made in 2007. If manufacturers are not designing hose that can > tolerate a 10% alcohol blend which is not at all uncommon, then that is > disappointing. > > >> Times and fuels have changed and we must make changes in our selection >> of fuel system components to keep our buses from burning. Make >> knowledgeable and smart decisions when replacing your fuel lines. >> > > I am so mad about this that I'm seriously considering replumbing the > entire engine compartment with aircraft aluminum fuel tube. The only > rubber would be from the rails to the injectors. The current > arrangement of sleeved hoses snaking everywhere looks really amateur > anyway. > > Allan > -- > 1991 Vanagon GL > >