Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:16:19 -0800
From:         Mike Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Nearly Dry Differential

Hi, it's been quite a while since I've contributed much to the online chatter here. Been real busy since August when we all moved from SoCal to Bend, OR. Moving, setting up the business here, helping Mrs Squirrel with remodeling the house, etc., etc., all outweighed matters Vanagonish in my head.

But several people have asked for an update. Well, not really several, a few. Actually, no one has asked. But I'm here anyway.

I took Mellow Yellow to Steve's Place here in Bend last week for winterization. Thinner oil, new filter, a replacement battery (got a nice Interstate), a freebie window crank replacement. These are things that I could do myself if I had more time, but, as I say, other things are keeping me busy.

While Steve was inspecting Mellow Yellow he pulled the plug on the differential and found it dry within, at least as far as he could stick his finger. Called me to tell me about it. There's no trace of a recent leak on the outside of the housing, and he said that the 17 mm allen socket was packed with ancient dirt and road funk, so it looked to him that no one has taken a peek in a long while.

I found that surprising.

I know that I have one of them 17 mm allens, specifically purchased for Mellow Yellow maintenance, and while I don't recall checking the lube level in the differential, I am not sure why else I would have purchased the tool. I did work on the transmission a few years ago, it was badly in need of cleaning and I pulled the cover and flushed things out and cleaned the filter and put in new ATF -- all the stuff in the Bentley's, so maybe I needed that 17 mm allen then.

Why I didn't look inside the differential is a mystery. As to why the guys at Hugo's Foreign Car in Encinitas apparently never looked (despite my having taken the van to them a few times, with requests for serious inspections of hoses, fluids, belts, wiring, etc.) is less of a mystery, I suppose. They were the best shop I could find, and they did do needed repairs and troubleshooting quite nicely. Still, they should-a looked, but apparently didn't.

I'm thankful that Steve bothered. He said the differential sounded fine, re-lubed it and I reckon that's one more part that has been attended to before failure.

So Mellow Yellow, shod in new Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS shoes, drinking water tank and lines drained, is ready for the winter.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR