Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:06:30 +1000
From:         Dave Yates <transparu@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Any Websites? - Auto Tranny Repair/Rebuild
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>

John, I rebuilt mine successfully and I am a mug mechanic. I bought parts from the US (readily available) and it took more care than brains! It took as bit of faith in myself too, but I had dismantled a failed one and that showed me how "simple" the thing s. It is straightforward but takes a lot of just looking at things. I needed only 2 special tools, both oif which I could easily borrow.

I think taking LOTS of photos at disassembly is useful, so too are some pages from Chilton's Guide to Automatic Transmission Repair 1980-1984 Import Cars & Light Trucks as it includes the Vanagon auto transmission. I paid $2.99 for my copy! (See it at http://www.themotorbookstore.com/chgutoautrre.html for $29 or so).

Keep in touch John. . I'd encourage you to start gathering information. I found NO site that had the info I needed.

All the best, Dave downunder

2008/11/9 John Rodgers <inua@charter.net>: > I can't say I have seen this on the Web anywhere. Anyone know of such a > web site. I would be interested because I soon enough will have > auto-tranny issues to worry with. > > Thanks, > > John Rodgers > 88 GL Driver > Chelsea, AL >