Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Nov 2008 07:49:00 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon templates for vehicle graphics
Comments: To: BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Ben,

I work as a printer technician in the wide format printing industry, I work with the people who do vehicle wraps on a regular basis.

A template isn't a requirement per se, but it does make the planning and execution of a wrap a lot easier. If I can find a professional template then there's a pretty good chance I can get my vanagon wrapped by one of our vinyl suppliers at no cost to me. I just have to drive their logo around for the next 2 years!

Areas like the gates on a DOKA are usually done using two copies of a graphic. One copy is fitted to the outer parts and another is needed to cut into the insets. Installers are trained in the techniques needed to stretch and shrink the vinyl to fit almost anything.

Cheap wraps are starting to flood the market as more and more installers are getting training. There's also a flood of inexpensive vinyls hitting the market, so I expect that those $1K installs are NOT gonna be using 3M's control-tac product that is warranteed for 3 to five years. $1000 wouldn't cover the material cost to wrap a midsize car with a name-brand vinyl.

Can it be used as a paint alternative? Yes, if you are used to repainting in 3-5 year increments. You don't need nice paint underneath at all, just a smooth glossy surface. Vinyl won't stick well to primer. In my case I am hoping to use the vinyl to postpone a repaint.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/79 Westfakia "Bob the Tomato" 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender Hardtop www.busesofthecorn.com www.pottsfamily.ca

BenT Syncro wrote: I didn't realize a template would be necessary to wrap a Vanagon. I was > actually thinking > of gettim my Doka wrapped. I realized the gates would be nearly impossible > to do properly > because of the hinge ribs over corrugated surfaces. Wrapping the rest would > be good enough.. > 'Though it would be a perfect excuse to call my Vanagon a "business use" > vehicle. Besides, > I thought the unusual shape of a Doka would be a good way to call attention > to my message > on the wrap. > > Vehicle wraps are being advertise locally for $1000-$2000. Doubtful that > they had Vanagons > in mind with that pricing. > > Paint alternative? Can the stuff be used as an alternative to paint for any > given amount of time? > I mean, use a cheap paintjob underneath maybe even a homemade job. Then put > the wrap on. > Thinking carbon-fiber look would be a cool finish for the Doka.