Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:33:30 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: What type of oil for my 2.1 Boston Bob?  Was Re: Mobil-1
              shortage
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

it's very well known that one would never use a synthetic for new or rebuilt engine break in oil. That's been common knowledge for many decades.

They even used to say not to use a detergent oil during the break-in period - usually 1,000 miles for rebuilt engines. I have broken in many rebuilt engines on 30 or 40W non-detergent oil. Or.......since that stuff is hardly around any more....... the common break-in oil these days.......or what I use any way...........30W Heavy Duty.

Main point is don't use anything too fancy !

Scott www.turbovans.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:24 PM Subject: Re: What type of oil for my 2.1 Boston Bob? Was Re: Mobil-1 shortage