Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:50:54 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: front heater valve
Comments: To: Rob Rubin <robrubin@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

Is your heater valve control cable well lubed ? as you may realize, turning up the heat, is pulling on the cable, and the inner cable slides out of the outer cable easily, but since they are seldom lubed ( should do it once a year ) ........when you move the temp lever toward off, the cable is pushed back into the outer cable.......... after a while it just kinks rather than sliding nicely into the outer cable housing and turning off the valve completely.

it's also kinda characteristic that it won't quite go from full off to full off. Tends to be............ you can have full off, but only 90 % on, or vice versa.

but obviously, check that the valve is really going to full off. Since you mentioned which way the coolant flows through the valve, you might mention what model you're talking about - could be diesel vanagon, 1.9 waterboxer vanagon, 2.1 wbxr, or syncro. You wouldn't think the heater hoses could be connected backasswards, but you never know what someone might have done, not likely their backwards, but since you mentioned it.............. Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Rubin" <robrubin@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 10:08 PM Subject: front heater valve