Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:34:33 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Semi- Vanagon topic: Getting hands clean after you've gotten
              them greasy
Comments: To: Zeitgeist <gruengeist@gmail.com>

As far as the barrier stuff goes, i worked with a mechanic for a while that had tubs and tubs of vaseline atop his work cabinet. One day i asked him about it. He said if you apply it regularly, even over the existing grease and apply it regularly when off hours thus keeping the hands well moisturized, it makes the grease more reluctant to stick. I have tried it with some success and keep petroleum jelly around in my tool sack for so many other reasons that i find it's a GREAT thing to have. The nitrile gloves are great, but i can still manage to destroy them faster than i can afford them.

The orange-clean style cleaners with the pummice, i hate. I think there's so few things better than good old Go-Jo, and i find the pummice is just annoying. I find a whopping dollup of Go-Jo rubbed liberously amongst the hands and then removed with a paper towel works smashingly. Then, you go to your favorite sink and use DISH SOAP to scrub your hands and i feel this gets most of it off. The illusive stuff that can be found around/under the fingernails however is tricky to take care of. The finger nail brushes they sell work, but i take dirt as an item of pride after a good day of work. I can deal with a little bit of dirt which will always casually remove its-self.

When you do eventually get gunk in cuts (cuts and gunk go hand in hand), Hydrogen Peroxide does a great job of bubbling it out.

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY.