Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:52:06 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: front heater valve

Before adding a cooling system to my '81, I considered using a different heat control valve (like John suggested) but was a little skeptical. I wasn't sure how an open/closed per season valve would work in real life (bear in mind this is my first water cooled Westy). So I did things as per stock. But......

Currently the heat control valve cable is connected, and I can open/close it (exposed end of the cable has an "L" bend), but I just leave it open. The heat exchange box has new seals so closing the main flap on it shuts off almost 100% of the air flow anyway.

I must say. IMO, the stock heat control valve sure looks like a mickey mouse piece. One reason I leave it's open for the winter/spring. Prior to installing a cooling system, I thought I'd put in a residential type valve with a mechanical linkage. AFAIK, the valve would have to be secured well (a challenge?) so the mechanical linkage wouldn't move it while using it. But I digress.

In hindsight, I should have set things up so that the valve was accesible from the inside.

Neil.