Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:07:56 -0800
From:         Gary Bawden <goldfieldgary@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon welding and Argon prices

I've used both lease tanks and owner tanks, each have their advantages. If you use a lot of gas, usually it's cheaper to lease. Currently I have two "owner" tanks for oxygen, since I'm not using a lot like I used to. The one big lookout for owning your own tanks is to understand how to check the date of the last hydrostatic test ("hydro" in welder jargon). If you aren't paying attention, the guy on the dock will just give you the next tank in line, and if the date is getting close, you're liable to have to pay for a new "hydro test", usually around $20 to $25. I think the date is good for ten years, but best to ask your local distributor. Oh, and another thing about lease tanks, they usually give you more gas per fill. For instance, when I exchange an "owner" oxygen tank, it's filled to 1800 psi; when I get a lease tank, it's around 2200 psi. Also, when I say "owner" tank, that means you pay the price for a new tank, but it's generally understood that you exchange your tank for one on the dock. Although I know people who own a lot of tanks (with their name on them) and leave them there to be filled, then pick up the same ones.

Gary