Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:55:19 -0800
From:         RICHARD KOERNER <rjkinpb@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Grease your front wheel bearings!!

Seeing the pictures that Neil included http://californiavan.com/frontend/80-84lowerballjoints/ reminded me to REMIND YOU ALL to grease your front wheel bearings.  I was on a recent cross-country road trip (2 months, 11K miles) and got from San Diego to Portland, OR when started hearing some "squealing" sounds; couldn't tell if it was me or the traffic alongside (was at a section of road with a high concrete embankment).  It was me!  Right Front Bearing failure...had to tow it on a flatbead the last 6 miles (stayed in a motel that night, extra $$$). But, the big part of this story is that the demolished wheel bearing ate up the Spindle; I could see the dollar signs quickly flashing before my eyes.  Luckily, the shop was able to get a good used one ($100), not sure if they are available anymore (mine is an '85 GL, with 155,000 miles on it).  Some guy said that spindles were mucho bucks ($300-400??) when it happened to him.  Also, the front disc was damaged, so they replaced bearing, spindle, pads, and disc; then they mentioned not a good idea to have unmatched-wear front brakes, so went ahead and did the left side bearing, disc, and pad.  All told....$680, plus the night in the motel in a crummy part of town where I broke down. Moral of the story...an easy lube job would have prevented a roadside breakdown (and tow charge, insurance covered) and big bucks and associated hassle.  Question to List:  at what interval should bearings be serviced? Rich 85 GL Vanagon San Diego