Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:29:45 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tire sales-people (rant + info .... long)
Comments: To: mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net>

As I was leaving the shop, he said they were C rated. Hearing that, and seeing the actual L.I. rating on the sticker was a curiosity in my mind.

I didn't actually see the sidewall to confirm as they were buried in piles. All food for thought I guess.

Thanks for your insights Mark.

Neil.

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 8:05 PM, mdrillock <mdrillock@cox.net> wrote: > Sadly, that tire is discontinued in that size. I have used several sets on > Syncros/ Campers and I know many other Vanagon/Syncro/Westy owners who have > too. Nice tire and I would love to still be able to get them. Of course it > is a Load C 6PR tire so the load index theory does not strictly apply, IMHO. > Larry and I have gone around and around on this. He prefers to err on the > side of insisting on a higher weight/load standard. The result is that many > people buy low end Asian tires with high load/weight numbers but inferior > braking and handling and think they have done a good thing. Doesn't matter > much anymore since most of the quality tires that fit our vans are gone > anyway. You can at least still get some decent winter tires for $$$. > > Mark > > > > > > neil N wrote: >> >> Tire in question: Michelin LT 195/75/14 93R Mud & Snow. >> >> On a whim, I went to a local tire shop. The first salesman, tries to >> sell me these Michelins. I was dubious, but curious, so he sent me to >> talk to someone else. I should say in defense of the first guy, that >> he did recommend some Agillis tires though I didn't actually see them >> to identify what size/model they were. Regardless, I wanted some >> snows. So.... >> >> Ok. Now I'm talking to the second fellow. First off, in reference to >> me saying my Westy needed a minimum 97 L.I. tire, he asks: "where did >> you hear that?". I say: "internet". During the conversation, he then >> refers to the info I got as "crap". Well, now he's inadvertently >> insulting my Vanagon buddies here on this list and elsewhere. (not to >> mention my own intelligence) But to be open minded, I listened. >> >> I knew enough to know this tire didn't have the right load index >> (according to what I've read) but the first fellow looks it up anyway. >> Sure enough. 1435 lbs. But no, they're both trying to convince me that >> it would be fine citing various "examples". Basically continuing to >> tell me I'm wrong. But hey. I'm the customer right? I want a tire with >> a L.I. minimum of 97 dagnabbit! ;^) >> >> To confirm my suspicions: >> >> This from Larry's website (thanks Larry) >> >> "Model: LTX M/S >> Size: LT195/75R14 >> Passenger Car Tire: No >> Load Index: 93 >> Load Range: C >> Max Load: 1435 lbs >> Max Infl@ion Pressure: 50 psi >> Diameter: 25.5 >> Revs/per Mile: 824 >> Fits in Stock Clamshell: Yes >> >> Meets Specifications: No " >> >> Oddly, I didn't see it on the Canadian Michelin website: >> >> http://www.michelinman.ca/specs/ltx_m_s/27.html >> >> Did they stop production of this size? Maybe this tire guy has old >> stock to sell off? I don't see the Agillis in a size 14" either. >> >> Anyhowsers.,..... >> >> IMO, these guys were telling me that a tire VW considers unsuitable, was >> ok. >> >> Would a brake mechanic try to sell me undersized pads (if that were >> even possible) or other incorrect parts? >> >> No. >> >> So why oh why, would a tire guy, >> try to sell me a "pie in the sky"? >> >> Yeesh! ;) >> >> >> Neil. >> >> -- >> Neil Nicholson '81 JettaWesty "Jaco >> >> http://groups.google.com/group/vanagons-with-vw-inline-4-cylinder-gas-engines >> http://web.mac.com/tubaneil >> http://tubaneil.googlepages.com/ >> >> >> > >