Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:41:27 -0800
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Semi- Vanagon topic:  Getting hands clean after you've gotten
              them greasy
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET>

I find that all of the cleaner products you can buy at an Auto Parts Store are intended for folks that really don;t get dirty.  My preference is to use commercial grade products.  Specifically I use Zep MVP Hand Cleaner.  Works great at cleaning hands.  To get under fingernails I use soapy water and a hard bristle brush. Z ________________________________ From: Max Wellhouse <dimwittedmoose@CFU.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, November 8, 2008 5:58:29 PM Subject: Semi- Vanagon topic: Getting hands clean after you've gotten them greasy Yes, I've never seen this question on the list before, but maybe no one was brave enough to ask such a simple question.  Of course, I'm talking about getting grease and grunge out from under the fingernails, cuticles, and skin folds.  Before everyone laughs me off the list, I'll bet others are wondering the very same thing.  To satisfy Jim, I am referring specifically to Vanagon grease that we all know and love so well.  to eliminate a lot of obvious answers, here's what I have experimented with over the last 40 years and nothing really seems to do the trick except a really prolonged scrubbing with Fast Orange repeatedly, followed by a long hot shower and scratching my soap bar vigorously with my fingernails so they fill up with the white stuff, and then eventually, the fingernail brush from an auto parts store eventually gets the rest of it out. Okay, here's what I've tried and why I don't think these items and procedures are the Holy Grail. 1.  Blue Nitrile Exam Gloves.  I'm not allergic to latex or vinyl, but those gloves don't hold up even as well as the Nitrile.  Yes, I use them for CV Joint repacking and a couple of other really nasty jobs, but for everyday mechanical repairs, they don't hold up and repeated use gets expensive.  I know some auto stores sell Heavy Duty ones, but still after 30 minutes or so, your hands get really clammy and wet and that makes putting on the next  pair difficult.  I DO use these gloves extensively when working with Epoxy and other nasty resins though and they do fine for that, but that work doesn't require all the abrasion of the auto work.. 2. Kerrodex barrier cream-  Your spozed to rub this stuff into your fingernails and exposed skin before you begin and after the mech work, rinse with water and all of the dirt goes bye bye.  Spozed to work for fiberglass resins too and it doesn't  It smells like soap in a tube and hasn't performed anywhere near the way I'd like it to, especially for the cost of it. 3. Fast Orange/Go-Jo/Pumice cleaners/Lava/ you name it- EVENTUALLY, they get the stuff off, but the dirtier you get, the time to clean up gets exponentially longer and once you rinse with water, the effectiveness of the repeated applications diminishes a great deal.  EEven the "natural" versions of this stuff dry out the skin badly. Enough of my ranting here.  I never hear anyone else complain about this necessary job, so I'd be really indebted to the list to cough up your favorite potions for keeping naked hands clean or at least minimizing the clean up time afterward. TIA DM&FS