Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 15 Nov 2008 10:56:44 -0700
From:         azsun99 <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil leak: advice?
Comments: To: Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM>

Seeing that you are in Alaska, and it is probably cold there, could it be the big o-ring sealing the oil cooler to the block? They do get old, harden and crack.

I also recently used the "Libby Bong" when renewing the coolant in my '88 Westy, and had the leak at the filler neck. A single layer of rubber, self fusing tape (the kind with the peel-off backing) around the threads took care of the problem. And it peeled right off when I was done. And to keep it from toppling over, I put a piece of 12 ga. copper wire around it and secured the end to a discretely placed screw on the back side of the closet. Unfortunately, I see yours is not a camper. In my opinion, this method of filling and bleeding is the greatest idea in years. I have seen no mention of it here, but lots on The Samba. Jerry in AZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Hartman" <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 9:40 PM Subject: oil leak: advice?