Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:21:23 -0800
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Anyone rebuilt an alternator?

I see alternator rebuild kits at Auto Zone, and I wonder how difficult this would be? Looking at the Vanagon alternator in the Bentley, I see that the front and rear bearings need to be pressed out, and then in. Will a deep socket and hammer work for this? The wayward alternator is in my Fox, but it has the same part number as the Vanagon--AL27XOR. The Vanagon 1.9 catalytic converter fit, too. A Foxagon I'd say, or maybe  a '93 Foxfalia. How about a late Westfoxia? The alternator is making its sound in the mornings, until it warms up In the Fox, the alternator is located right next to the timing belt tensioner bearing and I thought it was this bearing that was going south.

Bus Depot shows a rear and front bearing sold sepreately. Also brushes. No diode plates and such, though.  Why do the bearings without doing the rest? winter is coming, and doing an alternator,rebuild, myself, sounds like interesting fun. Will it go bad again at 5 degrees F?

Couldn't find this subject in the archives, but I bet several listees have done it before.

Thanks