Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:56:31 -0700
From:         Larry Chase <roadguy@ROADHAUS.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Car Computer" in your Vanagon?
Comments: cc: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@comcast.net>, neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>

Bob & Neil,

I assume we are talking about Laptop computers and not Desktop.

My recommendation ...

* Fully back up your Hard drive.

I would actually clone it and for that you would need;

- USB Hard Drive Enclosure like this ... be sure to get the right one for your Hard Drive Type (SATA / IDE)

http://tinyurl.com/6ltzdk

- Spare hard drive same size as original

- Cloning software like "Casper 5.0" this is for Windows so if running Mac find an equivalent

http://www.fssdev.com/products/casper/

You clone the drive one a week or month and switch out the drives so you are always using the most recent clone. This tests it to insure functionality.

While on the road for your years I used an IBM Thinkpad. Never really babied it ... so it saw a lot of dust, vibration, heat and cold.

Never had a failure or a problem. Came off the road and had two hardrive failures over the next 2 years. Go figure.

But with the clone approach, if the Hard Drive fails .... you just pop in the clone and your back in business and only loose new data created since the last clone.

larry roadhaus.com

- - -

Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:26:19 +0000 From: Bob Stevens <mtbiker62@COMCAST.NET> Subject: Re: "Car Computer" in your Vanagon?

I've done a little bit of wondering on this issue myself lately. I just took delivery of the MacBook Pro 15.4" and plan on using it for all kinds of vanagon travel "stuff", Delorme included. I'll use a Verizon "stick" for wireless service (best for my part of the country). Noticed in the instructions it says to turn it off before moving it from a stationary position as the spinning hard drive can be critically damaged if still spinning while the unit is moved. Sooooooo. Glad to see Mike's post and I do know several listers who do this, and have for years, seemingly without consequence (Larry Chase as example).

bob '87 Syncro Westy > Are there any Vananauts running a "car computer" in their Vanagon? > i.e. a Mac/PC adapted to a Vanagon. > > Any hard drive (or other hardware?) issues? Anyone running a flash > drive in place of the HDD? > > From what I've read, one potential problem spot is the hard drive > surviving bumps/vibration/temperature extremes.