Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:54:41 -0800
From:         neil N <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Car Computer" in your Vanagon?
Comments: To: RAlanen@aol.com

Hey that's quite the dash you got going there Frank! :)

How many radios? ;)

Not knocking the your setup at ALL, but personally I don't like too many things visible up front. This is one reason I considered a carputer. Then a touch screen could be removed/hidden and as well, moved to the rear to view video and w.h.y. But a lap top would do that too.

Neil.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:13 AM, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com> wrote: > In a message dated 19/11/2008 6:23:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, > LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes: > > Neil, I have been using my HP pavillion zt3000 on a self made dash > tray for 3 ~ 4 years for GPS navigation. See it here > > _http://picasaweb.google.com/Frankcondelli/VanagonDashTabletForLaptop_ > (http://picasaweb.google.com/Frankcondelli/VanagonDashTabletForLaptop) # I did have some problems with > the hard drive and it was eventually replaced twice and it was thought that > the cause of the hard drive failures were due to the rough ride it was having > on that dash mounted tray. I eventually put two 2" x 2" foam strips under > the laptop and that seemed to have solved the problem. Since that laptop was > getting old and worn out I just bought a new Lenovo T500 laptop that has a > shock absorbing hard drive. I have yet to use it in the van but it will soon > get its test as we leave on the Buses in Bacalar trip next Tuesday and will be > on the road until mid-may. So stay tuned and watch the _BacalarBlog_ > (http://poolio.net/bacalarblog/) as I'm sure if there are an concerns with this new > laptop I WILL report it there. I intend to omit the foam strips so that the > laptop sits lower. > > > >>>>>>>>Hi all. > > Are there any Vananauts running a "car computer" in their Vanagon? > i.e. a Mac/PC adapted to a Vanagon. > > Any hard drive (or other hardware?) issues? Anyone running a flash > drive in place of the HDD?