Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:58:40 -0500
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil temp musings and hairbrained ideas

I have an oil-cooler on my air-cooled van.

You'll hear a opinions on both sides with this question and I typically agree with both. One school of thought against an external oil cooler goes something like: if it is in proper tune and running order then you don't need the external cooler.

Also if you install one incorrectly then you may introduce many more problems than you solve from oil leaks to never letting the oil get up to temp.

I weighed all of the options and discussed this topic a lot with Boston Bob who was building my engine and thought that I should give my new engine every advantage in life so I went with the biggest plate style cooler kit from bus-boys.com

http://www.bus-boys.com/oilcoolingremote.html

I set this up with the thermostat and installed the cooler above the transmission just inside of the driver rear tire. I also put an automotive fan on the cooler once I saw that my oil still get's hot every now and then in-spite of all my best efforts. The fan is very effective at dropping the temp down to the level that I want to see.

On the same subject I run a full set of gauges so that I don't drop the oil temp and then fry the heads or anything. I also run a wide-band 02 sensor based fuel-air ratio guage that has been really handy in getting my fuel injection system set up just right. Cylinder head temps are more quick to react to temp spikes and I really like to see how they respond even though the vdo cht unit isn't precise.

Jonathan Poole '83 ac westy