Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:57:17 -0700
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: H4 Headlight aim, thanks and..

> The main difference, though, is that 7" round and > 200mm rectangular Hellas have an irritating beam separation problem. > Set the low beams where they belong, and the high beams are up in the > trees without enough on-road light. Pull the high beams down where > they can be useful, and the low beams are down on the bumper. I > exaggerate for illustration, but the effect is to make you try to find > a compromise setting where both beams are kinda OK. The Cibies do not > have this problem; when the lows are correctly aimed, the highs are

H4s are always going to be a compromise. hellas are most certainly not the best, but neither are Cibies (indeed, European lights lack penetration on high beam; this will include the true HIDs). Supposedly Australian H4s are the best by far of any headlights, but of course these are model-specific and no use in a T3, and so far only the Commodore lights are available in LHD (="Pontiac GTO" or "G8"). Unless someone wants to butcher his van by modifying it to fit Commodore or Falcon lights... which would look even worse then the one I've seen images of with Volvo truck lights grafted in.

The best lights I have driven with were the factory H4s in my 88 Nissan Skyline HR31. Unlike any other light I've used (various H4s), these had great penetration on high and a wide spread of light on both beams; there were no holes or bright spots, which is most unusual, and the light was bright white (yellow and blue make for poor lights, as the human eye is not as sensitive to these frequencies... hence HIDs blue-tinted H4s are less than optimal).

I had a mixed set of round H4s in my 74 Passat... one was a Lucas and the other Hella. Combined, these gave very good illumination; I have to suppose that the holes in one light's beams didn't match those in the other's, so that they filled one another's holes in!

-- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut Temporarily in Calgary, AB, Canada <goose1047@gmail.com>