Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 16 Nov 2008 16:57:22 -0900
From:         Jeff Hartman <jeffreyleehartman@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil leak: advice?
Comments: To: Bruce Todd <beeceetee@gmail.com>

So many good suggestions here. Thank you all. I want to try all of them. Ken, I fortunately didn't use the drain plugs in the block, because I couldn't get the covers that protect that whole pushrod area. I just drained from the rubber hose connections to the long plastic hose just beside the tranny and got about 10 qts out. That worked ok, but took two hose clamps to seal it up. So I don't think there could be any external damage to the pushrod tubes from that operation.

I got a lot of recommendations to remove the cover over that whole pushrod area and visually inspect. Makes good sense. I think I can get the two hex nuts off where they connect to the vented part of the block. That will just leave the two upper and very rusted connections. I was thinking of just cutting the sheet metal off, drilling new holes in the sheet metal and bolting them back together with stainless hardware,. when I am finished.

I also read an archive about the O-ring for the oil cooler/oil temp balancer that Max mentioned. I just stuck my head underneath that area by the oil filter, and there is a threaded plug that goes into the case just interior to, and a couple of inches away from the oil filter. Seemed like the the plug might be close to 20 mm. Is that the access to the oil cooler/oil temp balancer? Or, will I only see the sensor when I pull off the pushrod cover? I even looked in my Bentley, but must not be finding the correct pages. Some type of blown oil seal makes sense, because I have accidently way over reved the engine a few times recently when I was trying to limp home with the chronic bucking problem I had for awhile. Cleaning some connections and the AFM completely eliminated that symptom for about a week. Now it is back with a vengence, along with this new oil leak.

Also, Jerry thanks for the tip on using the flexible electrical tape on the threads before attaching the "libby bong" I can see how that would work perfectly. I don't have a Westphalia, but have one of the conversions made by ASI (spelling?) It was out of Vancouver WA, and with it's hydroflame forced air furnace, and isolated batteries, it is pretty effective for use in Alaska. Rest of the 86 vanagon is pure VW. Saw a refurbished one go on Ebay just like mine but in pristine shape for $7900 recently! My wife has been hen pecking me to drop mine off at the junk yard. That ebay sale I sent her silenced her for almost a week.

Sorry for all the questions. I often feel like like a mechanical dunce on this list, but wouldn't be able to own this vehicle if it wasn't for all the help here. Jeff Hartman Juneau, Alaska 86 vanagon