Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:08:01 -0800
From:         dj <djct2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      bucking in parking lots

Hi,

I recently purchased an 84 Westy. This is my first vanagon. After purchasing it I discovered many problems. Most of them I have worked through. For example patching the canvas and screen. New fuel pump, new clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder, new cat and muffler, and miscellaneous wiring issues. But there remains one issue that I don't seem to be able to solve. A friend recommended this site as it helped him with some of his problems on his vanagon.

So this is the problem, when a step on the gas pedal just a little. The motor revs up and down. When idling it runs fairly smooth but sometimes it does this also when idling. Otherwise the motor seems to run fine. This condition doesn't become a problem unless I am in a parking lot or very slow traffic. Then it is difficult to drive as I have to keep it revved enough to prevent this from happening. If I don't it will begin to buck along. I have had several mechanics look at it and no one seems know what it is.

Does anyone on this list have any ideas or previous experience with this type of situation?

Thanks, deek