Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Nov 2008 21:01:54 -0800
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil temp musings and hairbrained ideas

> Also, why fix what ain't broke? > Many people think that they could somehow 'out-think' the VW engineers on > what they perceive to be 'wrong' with their vehicle. > The only thing that's wrong there is their thinking.........

Well.... that's debatable. I've already had to "out think" the VW engineers by installing additional grounds, individual 10ga feeders through relays for the headlights, brass inserts in the radiator hoses to keep the metal ends from squeezing out of the plastic coolant pipes, replaced the plastic coolant elbow on the right-side head with a metal one, tossed the splittie-era 14" wheels with pizza-cutter tires in favor of wide and stable 16's, and larger front disc brakes that will actually STOP the van in a timely manner are already purchased and soon to be installed. So yeah, I'd say that it's worth casting a jaundiced eye at any engine component or subsystem. VW engineers were clearly crafty, but they seemed to be incurable minimalists. 35 years ago, my grandfather special ordered a Ford LTD with a truck transmission, transmission cooler, and oversized radiator because he planned to pull a trailer. Both the stock LTD and the stock Vanagon were engineered for a certain range of usage. If you're planning on operating a vehicle closer than "normal" to the edge of its design envelope, it's probably sensible to adjust that envelope to give yourself more of a safety margin. I run my work van up and down steep hills in bumper to bumper LA traffic in 100 degree heat with a regular 500-1000 pound load of tools and parts. I see oil temps approaching 220degF at the drain plug, which means even HIGHER oil temps internally. I find I don't care whether VW engineers reckoned they'd engineered it adequately for that--- I'm going to add an oil cooler!

-- John Bange '90 Vanagon - "Lastwagen" '90 Vanagon GL - "Wiesel"