Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Nov 2008 15:57:38 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Boston Bob's flywheel video
Comments: To: Steven Johnson <sjohnso2000@gmail.com>

Hi Steven, did they take it back apart ? Sounds to me, if it is for sure leaking engine oil from the bell housing area..........no real progress will be made until it's taken back apart for a thorough and careful inspection. I would be asking them to do that.............if it's leaking from the bell housing area, where they just worked.......... heck...........what would the owner of that shop do if it was his van, or his wife's, or mother's van ???? He'd take it back apart to see what is what.

It's not clear to me if they've taken it back apart or not yet. If not, and if there really is an oil leak from the just worked on clutch and bell housing area............it seems that they're stalling or putting you off, and trying to avoid the inevitable............something is not right in there. What do they exactly say, these two times you've taken the van back to them ???? What's their attitude, and what 'exactly' do they say. They must have some explanation.

Seems they would have to say some form of : - it's not really leaking. - it's something else and not part of our work - it did it before our work and we're not responsible for it, etc. etc. what exactly are they telling you ? how many miles on this engine ? Did they check the end play of the crankshaft, ala Bob's recently posted video ? ( One minor thing I'd change in that video is to lube the pilot bearing felt dust seal - on anything that turns and seals out fluid, it has to be pre-lubed a little. I think I read somewhere to soak those felt seals in oil, which is what I do. Not that this has anything to do with your problem. )

if it's engine oil, and it's rear main seal...........things like crankshaft end-play pop into my mind, seal being in too deep, or not deep enough. Also............. the rear main seal is not the only thing that can leak there. The flywheel mounting bolts are leak-points if they are not sealed with lock-tite, and there's an o-ring 'inside' the flywheel, where the flywheel bolts to the crankshaft. And there is the rare crack in the engine case, though I've never seen that on a waterboxer - that's a famous air-cooled thing than can happen.

And if you're sure it's not gear oil.............then it's engine oil of course. And I'm really curious what they say exactly............and if they've taken it back apart or not. Scott www.turbovans.com ----- Original Message ----- From: Steven Johnson To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 3:37 PM Subject: Re: Re: Boston Bob's flywheel video

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your generous reply. The thing is, I've already returned the van twice for the same known oil leak from the engine seal problem. They know it's leaking from there. The confirmed it twice by checking before proceeding. I know it's there because there is no where else for it to come from. Not the top side. No leaks there. I checked. And it's certainly not the transmission because I know what that smells like. So basically they've made 3 attempts to fix this same problem and have not fixed the problem. I really don't want to have to keep going back just so I can get my van home with the same leak. And I don't want further damage from a crappy job. That is why I posted to the list in the first place....

Steven