Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:22:07 -0800
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      AAA Plus Differences was Newbie '86 Vanagon owner here AAA Plus!

This has been covered on this list before but lets cover it again. First, AAA, although run under a national blanket organization, is like a State wide franchise. The services and coverage differes from State to State. That's why we see variations like limit of three road calls per year, 200 mile vs 100 mile towing limits, etc. and different rates. And based anecdotes seen on this and other lists different rules depending on who you get on the other end of the phone when you call the 800 emergency number. Example. Some years back, traveling with a friend who blew and engine (in a Toyota Roadrunner, NOT a VW) we called to have him towed on my AAA policy because he did not have AAA. They said fine and they would tow but would he like to join AAA right then and have the tow done on his coverage? He said yes, gave them a credit card number, and he was a member with a tow truck on the way. Others have tried the 'instant membership' thing and been told their coverage would take efffect in 24 or 48 hours. Some report that they are limited to three or two 100 mile tows per year. And based on personal experinece, for at least AAA Washington, AAA will NOT tow except on/from public roads, they won't come up a Forsest Service road to get you. But, also in Washinton, I've seen at least one exception to this some 20 miles up a FS road that was paved. And AAA wouldn't tow my wrecked '85 from the collision repair lot (where the insurance company had towed it) to a storage location while I figured out what and how I was going to do with it (not repairable). But less than a year before the same Vanagon had been towed from my driveway to a repair shop without question. Bottom line is tht AAA is indepensible for most problems and the Plus or Premier membership option provides much better towing coverage but you may still have problems.

BTW, has anyone ever encountered a problem with AAA that a tow truck driver says "That's a RV and you don't have RV coverage"? For several years I've paid the premium for RV coverage so as not to run into such a problem but wonder if I'm wasting money.