Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:24:48 -0700
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Can Stationary Wing Windows Be Replaced With Wings That Open??

> My non-GL is a metal dash and bumpers rubber mat tweed upholstery L > model as well. I changed the non-opening wings for opening ones early > on (wife demanded it, due to non-working AC). It's not difficult, but > it's a bit of an ordeal. You have to take the roll-up window glass to > have enough room to wrangle the wing upright into place. Once you > figure out how it goes, it gets easier--- Budget 2 or 3 hours for the > first one, and 45 minutes for the second.

I did this on a Bay. It wasn't fun. The hardest part was removing & reinstalling the chrome trim... in fact I never did bother with the passenger (left) door.

The problem with these vans is their 1960s ventilation... no dash vents.

My 84 Caravelle GL is an upmarket bus but has a bare dash too, and no aircon (you'd think an Australian-market van would have it as standard, but noooooooooooooo). I'm looking at fitting a heater from a Japanese car, in fact I have a complete climate-control system from a FWD 87 Corolla Cielo liftback I wrecked. I'd see what the van's underdash guts are like... if there's room, holes could be cut to install dash vents... in fact with the unpadded dash anything is possible, including welding-in pods to mount vents from a donor car.

-- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut Temporarily in Calgary, AB, Canada <goose1047@gmail.com>