Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:36:50 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hesitation, bucking,
              rough idle then died. The paranoia begins...
Comments: To: Mark A Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>

Mark, of course there is a laundry list of things this could be, however let's start with the usual suspect which is the oxygen sensor. Unplug it and see if this helps. You will see a largish green wire that is near the ignition coil with a single spade plug on it. Unplug this from the black wire that goes to the oxygen sensor and see if your symptoms go away. If they do and the oxygen sensor hasn't bee replaced then I would replace it. The van will run fine with this unplugged forever but you won't get as good fuel mileage as you would if you have a good one hooked up.

Let me know if I can help you further.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com

Mark A Kippert wrote: > Time for the newbie's first issue :^) > > My Vanagon ('86 GL) has been running just fine for the few short trips > I've made around the neighborhood until this morning, when I took a 30 > mile round trip, mostly on the highway. I stopped at a Volvo dealer to > pick up a part (sigh, another project). Upon leaving I started the > van, backed out of the parking space, started to pull away and > experienced some bucking. Gave it more gas and the bucking stop but > had practically no power. Gave it more gas (about half throttle) at > which it continued to bog down and then died. My first thought was > that I remembered reading about a similar problem on the list. The > idle control valve came to mind. > > Anyhow, I turned the key off for a few seconds and then restarted the > engine. Varoom, it fired right up, no hesitation, no bucking, no > nothing. I drove away without a hitch. !?!?!?!? Is this a lone > incident? A quirk? Or should I expect it to worsen? (the later I think). > > One more thing. As I'm driving home on the highway, averaging 60-65 > MPH, I notice a burp, or blip. It was as if someone flipped a switch > off, then back on very quickly. It seemed to happen only under mild > acceleration as I would compensate to keep the van at a consistent > speed. > > Do these sound like symptoms of the same problem, or two separate > issues? > > -Mark > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > + To unsubscribe from the Vanagon List send an e-mail to > + listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with SIGNOFF VANAGON > + in the body of the message. > ------------------------------------------------------------ >