Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:53:15 -0500
From:         "Jack R." <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hesitation, bucking,
              rough idle then died. The paranoia begins...

Sounds to me like the AFM... as I had a similar problem with our friends 90 Westy... it also had now power, bad hesitation, bucking, etc. I found that the plug to the AFM had come lose, and when I cleaned it and plugged it back in, the problems vanished. A simple fix for me! Sometimes just having a lose clamp or a crack in the airflow past the AFM can cause problems as well.

Good luck!

Jack R. 84 Westy Wolfie, with a 2.1L

I don't know what the cause is, but it sounds exactly like what has started happening in my '91 after it's warmed up, then I stop somewhere for a short time (15 - 30 minutes).

It's almost like the ECU is not handling the "warm but not fully warm" condition properly. In the summer I was having a much more serious case of these symptoms (i.e. the low power/hesitation/stalling would last more than just a few seconds). I replaced my "Temp II" sensor which seemed to completely cure the problem, but now it seems to be returning or something else with similar symptoms is going on.

Allan -- 1991 Vanagon GL