Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:21:50 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Timing 2.1l WBX
Comments: To: Allan Streib <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU>

that all sounds right to me. Won't hurt to check or adjust your timing , but I don't especially think your timing be off could be causing your problems.

Did you try the unplug the oxygen sensor thing ? I've read about shorted 02 signal wires, and have never seen it actually. On your silicone thing and your 02 sensor............I suspect that at the worst it would render the 02 sensor numb or dead.........the same as if you unplugged it, or it was just plan worn out.

When you said shutting it off and restarting, and then it was ok.........that made me think of Vanagon Syndrome, not that I think that's very likely. Do you have the little adapter harness at the AFM that fixes that ?? I have not seen a 'for sure' case where having that harness prevented Vanagon syndrome. I prefer to have one on the AFM of course.,

Connection to your AFM..........think about that. And the AFM itself. Mostly all I've seen those do is cause uneven acceleration or running. Given that it's where something mechanical and something electronic interface, it's a weak link.

I'm quite big on checking the throttle switch for adjustment and continuity. They are over looked quite often. Also........air intake leaks. If you have a steady idle and it revs out nicely from idle when it's running right..........I doubt you have an intake air leaks..........but those should always be thought about and looked for.

You don't have a cracked intake boot at the throttle body do you ? I almost never see those, but I ran into one just the other day. Engine movement will affect whether the crack opens up or not, making it act up only sometimes.

'It's just a blockage or leakage of fluids or electrons." ( and 'fluids' includes all gases, vacuum, exhaust, air, etc.......not just liquids like fuel and oil ) . Just need to find those blockages or leakages.

you might try some wire wiggle testing........wile idling ........wiggle things here and there, looking for intermittent electrical connections, or air leaks. And Grounds..........triple check those.

Nice when you find something really off or not right. Often I find several 'half not right' things........and added up ........those were the problem. I would do all the resistance checks in the Bentley too. That just made me think of your coil. I don't find coils to ever be just dead. I find them old, and nebulous.....especially nebulous, like they're not really right and healthy, but it's hard to tell. And it always pays, of course, to have a whole set of known good engine control sensors and devices - you get 'em cheap in a pick n' pull yard, and immediately try them on your properly running vanagon..........then you keep those as known good units for troubleshooting purposes. About 15 of those.......AFM, distributor, coil, fuel pump, etc. etc. Hope you get it real soon ! Scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <streib@CS.INDIANA.EDU> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:55 PM Subject: Timing 2.1l WBX