Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:28:21 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Hesitation, bucking,
              rough idle then died. The paranoia begins...
Comments: To: Mark Kippert <vanagon@KIPPERT.COM>

Hi, it can be anything... sadly. And being paranoiac is quit normal, it's a 20+ yo vehicle, on top, it's a VW. I lost 4 hours yesterday on my own van trying to find a low charging problem, it was simply the main ground to transmission, the Subaru doesn't use other ground than this one. As much as everything is done on my van, i never cleaned the ground on the trany side... I was getting 12.9-13 volt at the battery and 13.2 at the alternator. After, 14.1-3 everywhere. And it's not because i don't take care of my van. This is my engine (picture taken a few days ago) after 40,000km: http://www.benplace.com/85rouge2/vanaru67_2008.jpg

From a bad Ignition switch to any kind of FI component.

But mostly a simple bad ground or signal wire.

Here is a simple way of finding problem: Take a big screwdriver, start the engine, go in the back and move/tap all wire/FI component around the engine. Even the harness on the firewall, gently pry this one in different spot. Open the black junction box on the left front firewall, move the wire inside. Go tap (HARD) on the ignition switch, remover the plastic around: http://www.benplace.com/dash/dash4.jpg Also, gently tap on the AFM, idle control valve. Don't forget the ECU under the rear seat (2.1L) and the infamous brown ground just beside this one!! Lately, 2.1L gave me quite a few ECU related problem... not the ECU itself but the big connector/ plug... yea, a simple remove and plug back. Don't forget to check the idle control box hidden behind the rear right tail light and on the 2.1, carefully check the wire going to the distributor.

WARNING: your playing around a running engine with belt and pulley, be intelligent! No long scarf.

Good luck Ben http://www.benplace.com/