Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:41:38 -0600
From:         joel walker <uncajoel@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: Being PC on The List (kinda long and stoopid). :)

> Is it just me, or what?

it's you, john ... it's just you. ;)

> It seems extraordinary to me, but I don't recall seeing a single > Thanksgiving Holiday Greeting come across this list in celebration > of > this special holiday just past. Am I wrong, or did I just miss > something? Have we turned a corner somewhere that I didn't see and > become so politically correct about our List that simple civil > salutations best wishes on Holidays are no longer expressed? It is > disturbing to think this is happening. If this is true, it becomes > even > more disturbing because such events lead to more curtailment of > expression.

i kinda think that, since turkey day is primarily an american occassion, and mostly a family type get-together, and since we all still have Bob Donald's passing still fresh in our minds, that maybe a very large portion of the list was busy with family stuff for the holiday. it's not a case of 'forgetting' the list, but more of thinking a bit more locally to each list member. especially if you're not an american. :)

i know i was kinda busy with such stuff, and had another local passing of someone i'd known for nearly 40 years to deal with. and you kinda drift off into that activity, instead of hanging around the computer. especially if you have to get up and get dressed and go here and there to two or more different gatherings, with kids and grandkids, and a 3 year old freezer than decided to die on the day it was needed most for leftovers (and nobody will come out to even look at it til tomorrow). and i expect a lot of the rest of the list was similarly involved, or perhaps just being reflective at this time of year.

when i worked for united airlines, i was surprised at first to find out that thanksgiving was THE busiest time of year for the airlines ..more people flew home for turkey than they did for the christmas holidays ... which i thought was rather strange. but turkey day is extended family getting together, christmas is kinda more local. i guess. still seems odd to me.

plus the weather isn't really nice in some places, so working on the vanagon can't be used as an excuse to get out of preparing turkey and sweet potato pie and green bean casserole and cornbread stuffing and honey-cured ham and cranberry sauce and putting all the photos and dvds and other-things breakable up high so the ruggratts can't get at them, and so forth. ;)

so! in returning to our usual van-foolery and folderol, i present a repeat from Turkey Days past. :)

Manifold Destiny by Tanks Givens

Why, I recall, 'twas just last year, Around Thanksgiving time, I went to see my buddy Joe, And rang his doorbell chime.

His wife came to the door and said, "He ain't at home right now. He's out a'driving on the road In that Vee-Dub bus, The Cow."

So I took myself and headed home, Along the coastal road, When who'd I see, but that old Joe, On the shoulder where he'd whoa'd!

Old Joe was back behind the bus, A'poking round the rear, He had that engine hatch propped up And was pouring something clear.

I stopped in front and walked on back To see if he was broke, But he had close the engine hatch And was sipping on a Coke.

He said he couldn't stop to talk, Important was his quest, With miles to go before he quits For dinner and a rest.

He pulled out in the traffic lanes And hurried up to speed, I tagged along behind his bus ... Some help he might yet need.

In about ten miles, he stopped again, And behind the bus he'd go, Where he pulled that same old pouring stunt, On what, I didn't know.

Then off he'd roar, back on the road For another ten miles more, Where he would stop and run around Behind the bus to pour.

He kept this up back to the house, Where he called out to his wife, Who came on out and walked right back To the engine with a knife!

She poked inside, then poked some more, And then she said, "I'll bet You need once more around the block ... The turkey ain't done yet." :)

<Manifold Destiny is the name of a cookbook, about using your car's exhaust system to cook meals while you drive. really. check it out>