Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2008 15:33:46 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Little VW Content but Relevant for the DIY Crowd
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>

Lren,

You might try some of the aircraft hardware supply houses, I know they handle riv-nuts as well as other types of hardware - and you may well find that they have a lot of AN Hardware bits and pieces that are desirable for use on Vanagons - like castellated nuts and drilled bolts - that is those you can put a cotter key through to prevent the bolt from backing our or the nut from spinning off. Or perhaps a self locking nut - there are multiple types of those - some fiber, some steel. . How about removable safety pins used to hold clevis pins in place. And of course there are riv-nuts. And then there are blind cherry-rivets too, which have structural strength and can be used in blind spots where you can't see the other side. An example where those might be used is where the hinge for the gas pedal is riveted to the floor.

You should be able to Google up these resources.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Loren Busch wrote: > This message both 'pitches a bitch' and asks if anyone has found a good > answer. > First, the problem and one I think many have encountered when trying to find > obscure parts, tools, supplies, devices etc. You need a 'widget' or maybe a > couple of them. Also you would like to buy local if possible So, you Google > 'widgets'. And then you pick through the responses you get and actually > find. sometimes after changing your search to narrow it down, the exact or > close enough model of widget that you are looking for. Then you encounter > the Internet Buyers Dillema in two parts. First (and my biggest complaint) > is when I find exactly what I want at the manufactures Website BUT they > don't sell to individuals. So you search the site for a list of retailers > but all you find, maybe, is a list of regional distributors. So you go to > the distributors Website and search for a list of retailers that you might > buy the product from. But the distributor has no such info. Hell, they > handle 1,000 different makers of 10,000 products plus they don't give a darn > if anyone can find the retailers. And so you try to email either the maker > of the product or the distributor but you either have to 'join' to send them > email or you get no response. And you are back to sqaure one, trying to > find a local retailer that sells widgets. And as the neighborhood hardware > stores an privately owned specialty stores dissapear this gets even harder. > > So, what have other people found in the way of a search engine or Website > that either deals with this problem or gets around it? And please don't > suggest the online Yellow Pages, they are worse than Google. And the local > printed Yellow Pages have gotten to a point that they don't help much > either. > > BTW, would you believe that the only place I found that I could buy small > quantities of the item I was looking for (Riv Nuts) was eBay? > > Sorry for the long rant but this has become a really frustrating problem at > least for me and I was wondering if anyone else has found a solution. > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > + To unsubscribe from the Vanagon List send an e-mail to > + listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with SIGNOFF VANAGON > + in the body of the message. > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > >