Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:20:00 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dash electrics: something's wrong, but what?

There's a chill in the air. Leaves have fallen and cover the ground. College football dominates weekend television. That means that it's time for me to ask again, as I do every year, what in the hell could be wrong with the wiring on my diesel westy?

I don't think this is particularly a diesel westy question, so I am posting it to this list.

For three or four years, my turn signal indicator on the dash does not work. It is the only thing on my 1983 diesel westy that does not work. The turn signals work but the dash indicator light does not blink. I have to listen for the relay clicking to determine if my turn signals are on. At the rate my hearing is deteriorating, I figure that I have about a year to solve this problem.

I have three instrument clusters that I have rotated through the car. The TS indicator light does not work on any of them. I have tested the LED in all of them and they all work fine (I have removed the LEDs and have gotten them to illuminate). I have tested the resistors in the circuitry of all of them all they all tested OK. My clock runs fast about four minutes a day. When I start the car and the glow plugs are being warmed, the second hand on the clock runs about double-speed. All the grounds look good, and I have run an additional ground just in case.

That's all the clues I have to offer. Anyone have any ideas? This is about to turn obsessive!

Jim