Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Nov 2008 19:56:15 -0800
From:         Angus Gordon <birdworks@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Frozen engine
Comments: To: Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@yahoo.com>

Here's the story of how I dealt with a similar situation many years ago -

It all started when I gave my friend Dave the 1600 air-cooled out of my terminally biodegraded bug. It was a good, strong, low mileage rebuild, so I kind of expected he'd at least put some preservative oil in it and stash it away in his garage for future use in his own Beetle. Instead he apparently stored it under his front porch (he was building an airplane in the garage), where it sat. For five brutal Canadian winters.

When the connecting rod let go in his Tremclad orange bug we dug the engine out of the mud under his porch and hauled the car and my former engine out to the shop. The engine of course was locked solid with rust. We pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders and crankcase with a mixture of every type of penetrating oil and lube we could find on my shelf. After several days of soaking we could barely get a fraction of a turn using a breaker bar on the flywheel. A full week of soaking and we could just turn the engine over with a lot of muscle on said breaker bar.

Leaving the plugs out we installed the engine and hitched a tow rope up to my Vanagon (mandatory vanagon content!). I pulled Dave's Beetle, in gear, all around the airport my shop was located on for a good thirty minutes. Then we added spark plugs, turned the key, and it fired right up! He drove the car for another two years before selling it and the only engine problem in that time was a broken valve spring. Replacing the spring I noticed the one that broke had a small spot of corrosion on it, right at the break.

...oh, and he got four hundred bucks for the Bug...with my engine.

Angus