Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2008, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:41:55 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <jim.felder@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alternator pully #%%$#@
Comments: To: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com>

Sounds like somebody took a steel hammer to the face of the shaft and spread it. Pictures would help. How close to coming off is it? Did this happen four threads before the nut is flush with the shaft, or two, or is the shaft down in the nut before it stops?

If you have to sacrifice (flatten in a vise) something, obviously the pulley is the cheapest part. What about grinding off the flared face of the shaft, it that's what it is? What about grinding almost through to the threads to split the pulley so it will come off easily? What about propane heat liberally applied?

Jim

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 1:04 PM, roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> wrote: > I need to swap the alternator from my Fox. It has an alt. that has a pulley that looks like a Vanagon diesel pulley(very deep), and my 1.9 (where the replacement alt. comes from) has the conventional type pulley. Got to swap 'em. > > I removed the Fox alt. and loosened the nut, but cannot get it all the way off. The Fox alt has a space for a hex wrench in the center of the rotor shaft so it can be kept steady. The Vanagon does not. 24mm socket. > > I used a pipe wrench to hold the Fox pulley steady while loosening the nut(nut not very tight). I put the hex wrench in position by sticking it through the 1/2 inch drive hole on the socket, and turn the socket by attaching a vise grip to the socket--nothing. Nut will loosen slightly, but will not come off any more than that.Nothing works. Whas the problem? > > Thanks > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > + To unsubscribe from the Vanagon List send an e-mail to > + listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with SIGNOFF VANAGON > + in the body of the message. > ------------------------------------------------------------ >