Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:28:05 -0800
From:         Scott Daniel - Turbovans <scottdaniel@TURBOVANS.COM>
Subject:      Re: video: Making of a Vanagon
Comments: To: Neil2 <vidublu@gmail.com>

Really, it's almost embarrassing that VW seems so out of touch with what could work in the US, given VW's background here. Heck, if VW hadn't achieved Cultural Icon status in the 60's and 70's.........they could be forgiven for being clueless. I was just thinking about this....... and wonder how many 'real' car people..........VW-powered dune buggy racer types, say, work in VW of American Headquarters, but more than that........... are there any actual American car-type people in VW main headquarters in Europe ? One would think not. And it's not like it's not possible. Look at Scion, and before that........the Honda Element........those were targeted at a younger more hip customer, and I believe it's worked quite well, particularly Scion, as a young hip brand. VW could do that if they'd wake up a little. Scott turbovans ----- Original Message ----- From: Neil2 To: Scott Daniel - Turbovans Cc: vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:43 AM Subject: Re: video: Making of a Vanagon

I'm no authority but I suspect the missing ingredient in VW's strategy (as well as US automakers), aside from union and medical coverage issues, is the volks in charge of the machine haven't integrated all the 'human' factors involved in a purchase such as user experience, generational transitions (GenX, GenY, and so on. A small business owner does such unconciously in a day to day, year to year manner because s/he just realizes what works and what doesn't. A big machine cannot do such a thing unless it is well managed and few are.

Over and over volks here state something along the lines of 'out of touch' and 'don't they listen' and 'don't they realize'. To me this confirms that those in the VW offices exclude social theory in their business planning: http://www.brynmawr.edu/Acads/GSSW/schram/sw14691102.html