Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 2008 20:32:41 -0700
From:         Andrew Grebneff <goose1047@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: video: Making of a Vanagon

> I can fit 2 mountain bikes in the back of my New Beetle, while > running circles around you on any obstacle course. The original > Beetle was poor handling, poorly heated, slow, unsafe and with > marginal brakes. That's why I had 3 of them. :-)

How many bits were the bikes chopped up into?

The New Beetle has understeer understeer understeer... and that's on the tautest suspension available (Aussie & Euro). Being a rebodied no-fun Golf, that's a given.

The original Beetle had no swaybar. Handling was, basically, evil. After the introduction of a front bar (with no other modifications) the handling was transformed. Any 50s (or earlier) Bug can have a bar added. Unsafe? No way. I used to zoom along in the 64 Bug I had for a year or so. Even on the skinny crossplies it came with, it would zip around twisty narrow roads; if the rear slid out a bit, just keep the pedal down and it goes around the bend, no worries. So long as the brakes were maintained they were OK. Heat wasn't so bad as long as the valves were working and there were no holes or leaks in the system; items on the back floor in front of the vents were liable to be baked. With a 1.3-based (single-port) 1.6 it was no fireball, but it was adequate. Of course it had no hatch, but there was a big bin behind the back seat and said seat could be folded. I liked it well enough.

-- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin, New Zealand Fossil preparator Mollusc, Toyota & VW van nut Temporarily in Calgary, AB, Canada <goose1047@gmail.com>