Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:56:44 -0500
From:         craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop-top wanted
Comments: To: miguel pacheco <mundopacheco@gmail.com>

I would like to add that cutting the whole roof off is SHOCKINGLY easy with a sawzaw. I think it took me 15 min total after i had all the windows out. The tricky part however, is the weight and awkwardness of the top.... once you go to cut the last few pillars it will collapse in on itsself making the cutting tricky. You really need a means of supporting it. Then there's the problem of getting the thing off, i was going to use 6 strong men for that job, but then realized "well once they lift it up, how do they navigate the thing off?". So, i came up with a solution that i will surely follow for all future poptop cuttings... Support it from the top! Take the weight off.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2004304&l=14b72&id=1457880199

I bought my donor westy complete for $400, then sold a TON of sutff off it (still have some bits to sell...westy bits too) All in all, i made money in doing my conversion, and i'd reccomend to anyone with enough time to do a roof swap, that it would be adventagous for them to purchase a whole camper and part it out accordingly. There must be plenty of dead campers on the west coast, you just need to keep your eyes open. : )

-Craig '85GL turned WESTY