Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:16:54 -0800
From:         Matt Drew <t3vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Blackbeard-The Final Update
Comments: To: syncro <syncro@yahoogroups.com>,
          wet Westies <wetwesties@yahoogroups.com>

Volks-

Finalized all of the work with the mechanic last night, and it turns out that the outcome is even better than originally anticipated!

Here's what's being replaced: Radiator (Behr. Saw it wrapped-up in the box last night) Condenser Fan Shroud Radiator Fan Resistor Radiator Fan Steering Gearbox Steering arm Front bumper Lower grill

Additional repairs: Wheel on the spare New Windshield (still the original and pocked/cracked) Driver door lock actuator 2 New armrests Completely new paint (all white - even the cladding, minus the black strip in the middle) Replacing ALL lights to the Euro Smoked versions (Not the cheap Chinese ones)

And then at some point later on down the road, he's agreed to install the SA Grill for me at no charge if I can get my hands on one (I hear they're on backorder).

Funny story about the adjuster, too. He went to the shop yesterday to go over the repairs with him and write up a revised estimate. First thing he asked was about how much "these things are really worth".

He took him to a couple of websites (same that were in my original support documentation to the insurance company, including ebay) and showed him comparable vans in worse condition with more more miles than mine.

My mechanic's words: "His jaw drop, und zen he zay 'yah, vee pay to make ze repairs!" :o)

ETA to get my Blackbeard back with his new look is 12/17.

SIDE NOTE: I've documented this whole process, and have everyone on the list to thank for the fact that I've gotten where I've gotten WITHOUT the threat of Blackbeard being totaled.

That being said, I've decided to create a website with a dual purpose. The first, and primary, is to serve a resource for people who find themselves in similar situations with their insurance companies after accidents and aren't exactly sure what to do next. To that end, any and all documentation that anyone can provide will be included. If you submit information and don't want your name used, just let me know.

The second is a picture/description gallery of Vanagons before and after damage repair work. Same goes! If you have pics, send 'em on over!

No ETA on the site yet as I have yet to register the domain.

Thanks!

Drew '90 GL Blackbeard - on the mend, baby!