Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2008, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:26:26 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: oxs light came on
Comments: To: dj <djct2@YAHOO.COM>

The O2 Sensor in the exhaust system, and the OX light in the panel are not electrically or mechanically connected. The speedometer cable comes out of the back of the left front wheel, feeds into a little black box just above the spare tire carrier. From that little black box, a second cable feeds up to the speedometer. The little black box is a mileage counter, and when the mileage reaches 30,000 miles or 60,000 miles, depending on the model year of your vehicle. the counter turns on the light in the dash. Once reset, you can drive your van until the cows come home or the engine stops running well - which will happen if you don't change the O2 sensor within a reasonable period after the light turns on. . The box has a "Detent" guard and nestled down in the detent is a button that is the reset button for the OX light in the dash.On my '88 Vanagoan GL, the detent is on top of the little black box. On some vans it may be on the side of the box. On my vehicle, it takes a small screw driver to press into the detent and push the button to reset the counter in the box. When that is done, the light goes out.

Good luck,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL

dj wrote: > This is my 1st vanagon , only 3 months now and the OXS light just came on. I > checked to owners manual and it said it means It needs to go to the dealer > for emission inspection. Is this correct? Or does it mean something is > wrong? How do I get it off? It just passed smog. dj > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > + To unsubscribe from the Vanagon List send an e-mail to > + listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with SIGNOFF VANAGON > + in the body of the message. > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > >